Skip to content

Study shows many Norwalk families live paycheck to paycheck

By Rob Ryser and Kaitlyn Krasselt October 10, 2016

The formula of hard work and fortitude that has helped generations of Americans achieve their dreams is not working for hundreds of thousands of families in Connecticut. The reason: the rising cost of living is outrunning wages in western Connecticut and across the state at such a pace that 27 percent of working families now live paycheck to paycheck, without being able to afford basic necessities, according to a study released Sunday by the United Way. Combined with the 11 percent of Connecticut households that the federal government defines as living in poverty, the new figures show that 38 percent of families across the state cannot make ends meet.

Continue reading: Newstimes